Frequently Asked Questions for Tenants

Am I allowed to paint?

This is a possibility.  Please ensure you discuss this with us prior to painting.

Should I purchase Tenant Insurance?

We require all of our tenants to obtain a renter’s liability insurance policy. Additionally, we highly recommend that tenants also obtain coverage for their personal belongings. This is important because if unexpected events, such as a burst water pipe, occur, a property owner’s home insurance policy will not cover any loss or damage to a tenant’s personal belongings.

What are my next steps should I want to end the tenancy?

After the conclusion of your one-year tenancy agreement, and you transition to a month-to-month tenancy, you must provide written notice of your intention to vacate at least 60 days in advance to JDN Property Management. This can be easily done through the Tenant Portal. Alternatively, written notice can be provided via email, letter, or by filling out the ‘Tenant’s Notice to Terminate the Tenancy’ N9 form.

Who can I turn to, to learn my rights as a tenant?

The Ontario Landlord and Tenant Board is an excellent source of information regarding all aspects of renting in Ontario.

What are my responsibilities, as a tenant, with respect to maintenance?

The Ontario Landlord and Tenant Board specifies that a tenant is responsible for maintaining the rental unit’s cleanliness to the level that is commonly considered ordinary or normal. Additionally, the tenant must repair any damage caused to the rental property by themselves, their guests, or any other person residing in the rental unit, or pay for the repair costs.

Are utilities included? Which utilities? How are they paid?

This will vary with the property. We do inform the tenants of what is needed with regards to utilities; generally, the tenant will pay the utility provider directly. We do provide assistance to tenants to help them setup their utility through their utility provider.

How do I pay rent?

Tenants have several options to assist them in paying rent.  JDN provides a tenant portal which allows tenants to log in and pay rent through EFT or Credit Card.  In addition to these options, tenants are able to pay with traditional cheques or money orders.  JDN does not accept cash payments as JDN does not keep cash on the premises for safety reasons.

How do I submit a maintenance request

Tenants have access to the tenant portal.  Here they can pay rents, submit maintenance requests directly to our maintenance coordinator, as well as update those service requests and receive feedback and status reports.

What do I do in an emergency?

JDN provides a 24 hour, 7 day a week emergency maintenance line.  This is for situations that simply cannot wait until the next business day.  Tenants can call our office and respond to the prompt for emergency services.  Emergency situations are addressed immediately.